Cloth Diapers - How to.



Ok so a few weeks ago I decided that I would try cloth diapering. This was my first step at going greener, I mean aside from recycling which I have always done. Here are a few facts I have picked up from BumRite Cloth Diapers about disposable diapers and what they do to our planet. You kind find this same information Here.

Disposable Diapers USE:
  • 2x as much water as cotton diapers.
  • 3x as much energy as cotton diapers
  • Generate 60x more solid waste than cotton diapers
  • 20x as much raw materials than cotton diapers
  • 250 million trees per year are destroyed to make disposable diapers - approximately 4.5 for each baby who uses them.
  • It takes between 200-500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose
  • Are the third largest single consumer item in landfills and represent 30% of non-biodegradable waste.
  • 1 ton of garbage is created for each baby who uses disposable diapers. (1/3 lb diaper x 6000 changes)
  • 1 cup of crude oil is used for the plastic in 1 disposable diaper.
  • 18 billion are used in the U.S. each year...that's enough to stretch to the moon and back 9 times.
  • Thousands of tons of disposable diapers in the USA Municipal Waste Facilities:
    1960 = 0
    1970 = 350
    1980 = 1,930
    1990 = 2,700
    2000 = 3,230
    2007 = 3,730 (that's 3 million 700 and 30 thousand TONS of diapers)

    Thank you BumRite Diapers for the info!

OK so here is how I started this journey and how its going so far!

Step 1. ASK AROUND

I asked EVERY mommy I know if they use cloth diapers, use disposables & thought of using cloth and why they didn't/did, & what they think of the method they are using now.

I got tons of responses, believe it or not so many mommas are changing to cloth diapers, yayy, but the responses did vary. After reading all the comments for a few days I came to a very easy conclusion. A big group of momma's who didn't use them thought they still had to use the cloth diapers from my mommas days. Well GOOD NEWS they are sooooooo different now and easier but so much more confusing at the same time.

Step 2. RESEARCH, research, research, ohhh & more research!

 Since there was so much information out there it was hard to understand everything and to be honest I am a pictures type of girl.  I used you tube for a lot of my research, but everyone has a different opinion and a different idea of how to start. So here is my 101 to cloth diapering. I will try to make it as simple as possible to understand.
  • Learn the different types of diapers. I found this very useful Types of Cloth. She does a great job explaining and adding links to pictures. Once you find the style you think might fit you (side note: I thought I would like one kind and it became my least favorite when in practice, try a few different styles and brands. You can always yard sale the others or keep them cause your baby will change and so will your needs of the diaper).
  • Look for the brand of diapers that you think have the best atributes for your child (chunky thighs, low waist, ect..) I did this thru a google search and found this Article from All About Cloth Diapers. Its a list from other mothers who us cloth diapers and which ones work best for which body type, cause we all know every baby is different. I then watched you tube videos that showed me just what they really look like (not a sales picture) and how the mommas used them. for each brand I just typed it in the search with the style I was considering.
  • shop around! Here are a few of the sites I went thru while complying my diaper stash so far
  1. BumRite Diapers: They have a cool package (here) to start you off with a few popular brands and different styles. THIS was a big help to me in learning what I likes best.
  2. Abby's Lane: I love the rewards system for one & they carry TONS of different brands.
  3. Cotton Babies & Sun Babies were also recommended to me but I really haven't looked into them to much, it got enough recognition to warrant a mention so I would say they are pretty good as well.
Step 3. DECISION TIME

BIG THING: Give yourself a budget, you can't imagine how addictive cloth diapers can be since they are so cute <3

At this point you have probably decide your next move (ie. what brands you want to try, where you want to buy from, and your budget). Remember to try different styles I promise you cannot make a a final choice until you've tried a few. Now is also a good time to get some accessories, you don't want to pay a separate shipping fee when you realize you love them :). 

Here are a list of accessories you will most likely need:
Diaper Pails, Liners, & Totes
  • The pail you can get from Walmart, just use a trash can with a closing lid.
  • Your Diaper Pail Liner you can find at any of the above stores that I mentioned when you order your diapers or any store you order the diapers from or go to pinterest and find a DIY if your crafty.
  • Totes- I like my PlanetWise Med Wet/Dry bag
Something you may also want to look into are cloth wipes, I didn't do it at first but I just ordered my wipes and my wipe bag :) I know I can make wipes for cents but I am not creative unless its behind a camera lol.

Step 4: PURCHASE TIME! 

I hope that this blog helps you in your search for the right cloth diaper. Please feel free to ask any questions. I may not know everything but I have a pretty big network of girls who would know the answer. 


Thanks, 

Jesse






No comments